Thursday, April 10, 2014

Abi is Big Sister!

     4 days ago Abigail officially became a big sister to little boy Max Baer. And boy does she look big next to him! She still is so little, but overnight became a giant when compared to her little brother Max! It's amazing how that happens. It won't be for long though - he will pass her up in no time! I'm sure the fact that now Abi's teeth are really starting to come in have helped her look a little older, but it's amazing how tinie-tiny little newborn babies are. It's also amazing to think that Abi was once that little - she has come so far in her little journey it's incredible. Speaking of those teeth though, she got a fever Tuesday night and i'm thinking that's what is causing it - well, I guess more hoping that's what's causing it and she's not getting (or already) sick. It's  one of those that come and go. I'm pretty sure it started Tuesday night, but I wasn't aware of it until yesterday morning. This morning she woke up seemingly fine but then went back to sleep after she ate and then it came back. She was having a rough day all day Tuesday while we were out and about in Cedar and St George and I couldn't figure out why! She was just being so whiny. Then Wednesday morning she woke up just as whiny, but at least now I could feel how warm she was! When I checked her temperature, the thermometer said it was 101.something - almost 102! I thought about taking her in to the hospital, but what would they have done, honestly, that I couldn't do at home? I gave her some ibuprofen and cuddled her - then tried the cool bath. The cool bath seemed to work the best. I gave her a cool bath 2 more times that day (for a total of 3 cool baths) because of her dang fever. Then, like I said, she woke up okay this morning, but got hit again late morning/early afternoon. I didn't give her a cool bath today, just Tylenol as that seemed to help, but right now she's laying pant-less on the ground with a cool rag over her legs to try to help.
    Then there's the whole blood in the urine thing. I'm truly not sure if it really is blood as it is more of an orange coloring than a red one. But it started about 3 weeks ago when I saw a tint from the outside of her diaper, but there was no coloration on the inside. Then the next morning I saw what looked to be a very red spot at the top of her diaper. We were able to get a urine sample and found bacteria so we got her on an antibiotic but the urine culture didn't show anything conclusive. Well we've run the course of the antibiotic and there is still that ugly orange color in her diapers - but it has become more frequent now from mornings only (and not every morning) to almost every diaper. I wonder if she is just super dehydrated? But nothing else points to dehydration - her lips are moist, her skin elasticity is good. So maybe her electrolytes are off? Or something I just realized recently, I wonder if it's a lactose intolerance thing. She has been puking a lot more frequently lately as well (no seeming rhyme or reason to when that occurs) but maybe there is some sort of connection there? I'm going to stop the milk for a few days and see if anything changes. She's been on the milk for a lot longer than 3 weeks, so I'm not sure, but it's worth a shot for now. Her neurologist said he'd try to get with the nephrologists (kidney doctors) for any advice, ideas, or suggestions from them. We also got a blood test to see if there may be anything there that may help point out any suggestions, but we haven't heard anything yet from either side. Poor girl just can't catch a break!
     Even though this post makes it seem like Abi is not doing well, she really is overall. She still seems to still be a pretty happy baby and honestly gets cuter and sweeter every single day (I don't even know how that is possible!) The fever is affecting her most of all, so I can't wait for that to get over whatever it is, but she is still progressing and doing amazing things. No new milestones or anything, but she is still cooing and working on getting that head stable.
     We are super happy to welcome Max into our family, I just know he'll fit right in and be the best little big brother for Abigail. She doesn't quite realize who he is yet, but has very much responded to his cries with looks of wonder and confusion. It's very cute.

Anyway, this is AbiNormal. Thanks for stopping by!

Abi and her new brother, Max. Best buddies already!

No comments:

Post a Comment