Thursday, January 16, 2014

New Connections?

     Since Abigail's first "relapse seizure" on Monday when she had a seizure following a breath holding spell she has had 1 a day with the exception of yesterday where she had a breath holding episode, but no seizure to follow. Monday the 13th she had that one breath holding episode that resulted in an episode, then Tuesday the 14th she had a seizure out of nowhere. She was extremely calm and just went into it. I was even holding her. On Wed the 15th she did not have a seizure at all that day, but she did have a breath holding episode (I'm still not certain if those are seizures themselves or not). Today she had a seizure that was also out of nowhere. I was holding her belly down over my lap and she was calm as can be. The only difference between Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Today is that on Wednesday (when she didn't have a seizure) she had a nap..Neither on Monday, Tuesday or Today did she get a nap. She fights it! It takes so much effort on her part to fall asleep! I almost had her asleep in my arms - she even closed her eyes and did one of those myoclonic jerk things that she does as she's falling asleep, but then she woke up and started stretching. She seemed pretty awake, so I laid her back down in her wagon to hopefully get her to fall asleep in there (she was getting very heavy), but she didn't..she actually started cooing and being pretty happy. So I left her be. She started getting a little fussy again so I picked her back up and draped her over my lap where she sat completely content for a good 20 minutes, I would say, before she had her seizure out of the blue.
     The 3 seizures she's had this week all happened around 4 or 5 o'clock pm on the days she did not get a nap at all. Today's was at 4:45pm. She has still been acting very calm and almost happy lately that I'm not too worried yet. Her head control is getting spectacular as well, it blows me away sometimes how long she can hold her head up and look around! I want to test my nap to seizure connection theory a few more days before I email the doctors (especially since we haven't seen another breath holding spell resulting in a seizure) She also didn't have any breath holding spells today - so that's bizarre that one day she will have a breath holding spell before her seizure, the next day she won't. The next day she would have a breath holding spell but no seizure, and then today another seizure with no breath holding spell...AbiNormal, I guess.
     Her appetite has been coming back too! She ate 16 oz for Shiree today within 3 hours! And then came home and ate another 16 within 6 hours. So that makes 39 oz so far today (including her 1st morning bottle) - that's a lot! I have been adding oatmeal cereal and baby food to all of her bottles while still fortifying her formula calories, so she is definitely getting enough. I bet she's going through a growth spurt - she got long and skinny again there for a minute, and now her belly is starting to come back.
   So, this also is why I wan't sure or "sold" on the fact that she was teething or not. I want to just attribute all her fussiness to teething, but now she is so calm and content all day and we still haven't seen any teeth. I know sometimes teething comes in spurts but seriously there have been so many times I've thought teething and every time she calms down with no teeth to show for anything....that's why I couldn't sell myself that she was for sure teething because I've thought it so many times before and each time it wasn't accurate. I just wish her teeth would come in already so I didn't have to guess anymore. But then again, she'll look so much older with teeth, and probably goofier! But I would hate to have her teething at the same time Max, her younger brother, decides to make his entrance into the world..I either need her to get it over with before he comes or wait until he's at least 4 months old..Who knows what will happen. I mean, if she takes the whole teething thing well then it doesn't matter when it happens, but based on her track record she probably won't take it very well. haha
      Anyway, like I've said, we've seen 3 seizures this week - which is still a HUGE improvement from the 8/day we were seeing less than a month ago, and we've seen some good progress with the increased seizure control as well. And the one day she didn't have seizure, she took a nap. I just wonder if maybe her body gets so exhausted that it sends itself into a seizure to wear it out and let it rest? Or something like that. She didn't get to sleep on her own so her brain/body is responding to that and allowing her brain/body to rest..because her seizures are wearing her out again for a few hours at a time. Her seizure today was at 4:45 and she slept until 7. Or maybe i'm just reaching and grasping and she is just having seizures because she has a seizure disorder. Tomorrow-Monday I will test out my theory of nap vs seizure and see what happens. After a few more days of trying out my theory, then I will contact her doctors and let them know my results and if there should be a next step to take.
    Well, Abi is finally in bed now and I think she's sleeping, so I'm going to go to sleep while I can! Thanks for reading and I hope you all have a wonderful night as well!

This is AbiNormal!

(oh, P.S. we may have found a morning routine that works for her! A routine at all that works for her! Let's see how long this one lasts! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment