Thursday, May 30, 2013

What a day.

Today was surgery day for Abigail. She did wonderfully! It was relatively a long day but as is any day you go to the hospital. We got here right on time at 11am to check in for Abigail's surgery, and everything went smoothly there. However, the O.R. that she was scheduled for got behind so we ended up waiting for quite a bit in pre-op. Poor Abigail was so hungry-she hadn't eaten since 7:30 in the morning and it wasn't until after 1pm they finally brought her back. With that being said, however, she slept forever this morning! She was up at 7:30 to eat then went back to sleep. I then had to wake her up again to give her her medicine at 9:30 this morning, but she again went back to sleep again until after 11!  She was finally woken up by being weighed and measured-which she still hasn't gained much weight back, but she's 23.5 inches long! So that's pretty neat! 
   Once they did bring her back we had to go check in the waiting room and I was expecting the surgery to last 45mins to an hour but by the time Heidi and I went downstairs to the cafeteria, got our food, and brought it back up they were done with the surgery. I had just barely sat down and hadn't even finished dressing my grilled chicken sandwich when the doctor came in! I was shocked!  He showed me pictures and explained what he did and what to expect next. Now, I'm very sorry, but in my last post I told you all the wrong procedure that the doctor was to perform today. I thought the name of the procedure was tracheoplasty-but instead it was a supraglottoplasty, or "above the glottis"plasty. He also did a microlaryngoscopy and a bronchiolescopy as well-all of which I got pictures from! :) So really the doctor just went in with a camera and scissors and cut off the extra skin that was closing her airways. So far her breathing has seemed to improve, although her voice sounds a little raspier (as you can expect from a throat surgery). She has found a decent amount of sleep today, but right now she is over in her bed fussing a little bit. Her clonazepam is scheduled to give her at 8oclock here and I don't normally give it until 10-so the sleep aid in that is kinda wasted-good thing it's only tonight huh?
Anyways, so today we ended up waiting longer to get Abigail into surgery than we waited on the actual surgery procedure (or procedures). The surgery was successful as in she's escapes with no complications minus being in pain..which we are giving Motrin and Tylenol for..and we just monitor to make sure she's not aspirating or desaturating. So far so good (no Jinx!!)

But on a lite note! I was able to see some friends from the seizure Q and A that I went to a few weeks back! That was fun. They came to visit (they were already here with their son, Perrin) so they stopped by. Then they took Jaren and I out to dinner at the lion's house pantry. I had never heard of it before, but it was wonderful! So nice to see that sweet little family again. 

So overall it's been a relatively good day. Despite the pain and activities of the day Abigail has still been able to find moments of peace and comfort. I'm hoping that's a glimpse of what is to come! But for right now all I can ask is she find some sleep for the night. 

Thank you so much for all the support, love, and prayers you guys are showing Abigail and all of us. Keep em coming! something is working!! You are all great!

This is AbiNormal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment